Saturday 30 July 2011

End of the Month

I have been quiet this month; not because I have been doing nothing, but because I have been doing a lot of council related things.

I received my first queries from residents - one for a parking related issue, another over the Penrith New Squares traffic flow and pedestrian access to the town from the New Squares development, disabled access to our local park, cleanliness on the streets and traffic speeds in the local area. I have done my best with the parking issue - and this brings me to my point for today: the relationship between Eden District Council and Cumbria County Council.

I am aware that the two are completely different bodies; Cumbria County Council. has control over highways and on street parking, whereas Eden District Council has control over off street parking. This, I suppose is fine, until there is a problem. THEN, its always the other lot's fault. What it actually means though, is the people with the problem do not get it solved. If I blame County Council for a parking issue in my ward (because it mainly consists of on street parking and permits), and they in turn blame District Council (as the person on the 'front line' dealing with everyday issues) who then blame County Council (as the governing body) where does it get the poor person with the problem (apart from totally frustrated)?

In my ward, Penrith West, we have problems with permit parking. The principle itself appears sound, but the implementation of this is seriously at fault - it is not working. It is simple really; we have a problem with cars parking during the evening and at weekends without permits - get the traffic wardens (or Civil Enforcement Officers) to come out THEN and enforce the rules. I would also like the area to have some short term parking, maybe 1 hour for people to visit without the need for permits. We are the only estate in Penrith without one, which means using our visitor permits for EVERYONE that comes to the door in a car - and we are allowed 60 of these per year, and no more! This seems like 2 fairly small things really - but would make the world of difference to the way our permit parking scheme works - and I imagine would be directly reflected in a lessening of the complaints!!

No comments:

Post a Comment